UGANDA, WORKSHOP TO REVIEW THE MINING POLICY, LAW AND TAXATION
The Ministry of energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) is organising a 3 days consultative workshop to review the Mineral Policy,Law and taxation at Speke Resort Munyonyo, Kampala Uganda on 16th to 18th July 2014.
2ND UGANDA MINING, ENERGY AND OIL & GAS CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION (UMEC 2015)
The 2nd edition Uganda Mining, Energy and oil & gas Conference and exhibition (UMEC), is re-scheduled to next year 20th to 21st May, 2015 at Serena Hotel Kampala, Uganda. The Conference is being organised by the Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development in collaboration with AME Trade Ltd.
Please visit www.umec-uganda.com for up-dates.
3RD MINERAL WEALTH CONFERENCE (MWC2014)
Uganda chamber of Mines and Petroleum in partnership with the Ministry of Energy & Mineral Development is organizing the 3rd Mineral Wealth Conference (MWC2014) scheduled for 1st and 2nd of October 2014 at the Kampala Sheraton Hotel. The Theme of the Conference is “Uganda's Transformation: "A New Era in Mining"”.
Visit www.ucmp.ug for more details.
The Government of Tanzania will be hosting the Fifth African Rift Geothermal Conference (ARGeo-C5) in partnership with UNEP, ICEIDA, BGR, UNU-GTP, AUC and East African Regional Branch (EARB) of the IGA. The conference will be held in Arusha, Tanzania on 27thOctober -2nd November 2014.
Visit www.c5.theargeo.org for more details.
MINERAL WEALTH CONFERENCE 1st - 2nd OCTOBER 2013, Kampala Uganda
Visit www.ucmp.ug for more details
The Government of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development in collaboration with AME Trade Ltd will host the Mining and Energy Conference and Exhibition (UMEC 2013), which will take place from 28th to 30th May, 2013 in Kampala, Uganda. The Main Theme of the event is "Intergrating the mining, petroleum and energy sectors into the development strategy for a Uganda that is transforming its economy to a modern and prosperous one within 30 years."
Visit www.umec-uganda.com for more up-dates
Modern Documentation Centre presented on "Mineral Wealth Conference 2012"
During the "Mineral Wealth Conference" (Kampala, 02/10/2012), the DGSM presented its Modern Documentation Centre to stakeholders of the mining industry. The presentation, by Dr Frank Schmidt of Beak Consultants (Germany) and Ms Grace Nassuna (DGSM) is available for download here [pdf, 2 MB].
Please contact DGSM to use the extensive information systems in Entebbe or navigate to the online versions (Dataportal of this website).
New potential Targets for mineral exploration.
Recent geosurveys and Mineral Resources Assessment under Sustainable Management of Mineral Resources Project (SMMRP)identified potential mineral target areas for exploration and development.
Link to PDF full report
"Uganda Online Mining Cadastre Portal" Launched on 7th September 2012.
The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development is implementing a computerized Mining Cadastre and Registry System (MCRS) at the Department of Geological Survey and Mines, Entebbe. The Department under the Sustainable Management of Mineral Resources Project (SMMRP) contracted MTL Consulting Company Limited of Tanzania to implement the MCRS based on FlexiCadastre of Spatial Dimension.
Spatial Dimension is pleased to announce that the an online mining cadastre portal for Uganda has been launched.
Symposium on Uganda Airborne Geophysical Surveys
Grand Imperial Hotel – Kampala: 16th–17th July 2009
Following the completion of airborne geophysical surveys over nearly 80% of Uganda, the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development through the Sustainable Management of Mineral Resources Project/Management of Mineral Resources and Capacity Building Project, organized the above mentioned two-day symposium on 16th & 17th July 2009 at the Grand Imperial Hotel, Kampala.
The objective of the symposium was to reach out to all stakeholders and in particular to exploration/mining companies and make them aware of the availability of the survey results.
The agenda will cover the following:
- Address by the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development,
- Presentation of survey results,
- Summary of on-going mineral sector projects by both government and private sector,
- Uranium exploration in Uganda.
We shall have presentations/proposed topics from the following stakeholders:
- Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (Recent mineral sector interventions; On-going activities in the sector),
- World Bank (Funding of Mineral Projects by the Bank & experiences from selected countries),
- Paterson Grant & Watson Ltd (History of airborne geophysical surveys & follow-up; Quality Control & Training; Uranium Exploration in Uganda - Follow up targets from current survey;Summary of results),
- Fugro Airborne Surveys Ltd. - the contractor (Presentation of the survey - history, logistics,local involvement, capacity building, results, products delivered & summary of Fugro experience in African projects),
- Geological Survey of Finland Consortium (Geological Mapping Project - Use of Airborne results and plans),
- Swedish Geological AB (Processing and Interpretation of Airborne Data - Use of Airborne results and plans),
- Uganda Chamber of Mines/Presidential Investors Round Table (Ugandan Experience and Outlook of the mineral sector),
- Uganda Investment Authority (Ugandan investment climate and opportunities).
Download Programme here.
Open pdf of presentations:
Opening Remarks (62 KB)
Recent Mineral Sector interventions and the on-hoing activities in the sector (349 KB)
Funding of mineral projects by the bank and experiences from selected countries (242 KB)
Supervision and Monitoring of Geophysical Surveys (1,285 KB)
A new chapter in the Geology of Uganda (18,583 KB)
Presentation of the survey (11,502 KB)
Processing and Interpretation of Airborne Geophysical Data(2,307 KB)
Uranium Exploration in Uganda (1,369 KB)
Uganda Investment Climate and Opportunities (1,305 KB)
Conference WRAPUP (41 KB)
SPIN Project Workshop
Spearhead Network for Innovative, clean and safe cement and Concrete technologies (SPIN) Workshop was held in Entebbe, Geological Survey and Mines Department from 19th - 23rd March 2012.
The Project is trying to identify methods of improving cement and concrete production in Africa, by Networking with partners in Africa and Europe. Training of students has been carried out to enable them build capacity for their research in the area of safe cement and Concrete technologies .
Link to PDF Project details
MINING INDABA 2012
DGSM was present at MINING INDABA Conference 6th - 9th February, 2012, Cape Town, booth G7.
Geophysical Data Released
Under the World Bank funding, a total of 350,698 line kilometers of magnetic and radiometric surveys done (100%) and 23,144 line kilometers of EM surveys done (81.4%). Total work completed is 98.6%. Most data (blocks 2, 2B, 3, 4) released and available at DGSM.
Under African Development Bank (AfDB) a total of 293,697 line kilometers of magnetic and radiometric surveys done and 7,594 line kilometers of EM surveys done. Total work completed is 100%. Data (blocks 1, 5, 6, 7, EM7 and EM8) released and available at DGSM.
Developing A National Strategy For Advancement Of Artisanal And Small-Scale Mining. Entebbe, 10th - 14th March 2009
This conference seeks to:
• Share achievements of the Sustainable Management of Mineral Resources Project (SMMRP) - especially related to artisanal and small scale mining (ASM) - with stakeholders.
• Develop recommendations for a strategy - and the necessary partnerships - to support long-term improvements to ASM in Uganda.
• Increase awareness of a wide range of government agencies, NGOs, CBOs, financing institutions, academia and development partners on Uganda’s Minerals Sector.
• Strengthen the relationships between women and men miners and the government officers mandated to regulate their activities and provide related extension services; and
• Better understand how ASM-related activities in the DGSM can be embedded within key themes of National Development Planning Process.
See Conference Brochure for details.
Special Report on Mining in Africa
The new report is available for download (4 MB), featuring a presentation about Uganda`s Mining Sector.
DGSM at PDAC 2009, Toronto
DGSM was exhibitor and speaker at the world`s largest Convention & Trade Show of the mineral industry. See Conference Homepage for details or meet DGSM at Booth No. 1328.
Presentation by the Minister of Energy and Mineral Development, Hon. Daudi Migereko and the Commissioner of the DGSM, Joshua Tuhumwire:
Update on mining investment opportunities in Uganda. Tuesday, March 3 at 3 p.m.
See Innovation Forum.
DGSM at MINING INDABA 2009, Cape Town
DGSM was exhibitor at this year`s main meeting of the African mining industry, the MINING INDABA at Cape Town, 9 - 12 February, 2009.
Presentation by Hon. Minister Daudi Migereko:
11 Feb 2009, 3:20 PM, Suite 1.4 (Ministerial Forum, Ministerial Panel 4)
See Conference Homepage more information
DGSM at Mines & Money 2008, London
The Department was exhibitor at the Mines and Money Conference, London 1.-3.12.2008 and promoted the mineral potential of Uganda to many interested visitors from all over the world.